Assistant Professor of Sociology
Posted: Mar 14 2014
American International College is a private, coeducational institution of higher education located on a 70+ acre campus in Springfield, Massachusetts. Founded in 1885, the College has 3500 graduate and undergraduate students. AIC offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs through the Schools of Business, Arts and Sciences; Health Sciences; and Graduate and Adult Education. The mission of the College is to transform student lives through career focused learning, with a strong foundation in the liberal arts, a commitment to serving the community, and a high level of involvement in the global economy.
Assistant Professor of Sociology teaches, advises and provides academic direction within area of expertise; contributes to overall faculty governance and academic leadership.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Teach 24 credit hours per academic semester (generally 12 credit hours per academic semester) as assigned by the Department Chair/Director or Dean, unless other arrangements, additional duties, or contract provisions have been made
- Participate in course and curriculum development
- Participate, in accordance with Departmental and College need, in the ongoing design and continuous implementation of assessment of student learning outcomes and academic program improvement activities in the areas of General Education and the academic major. Attend the AIC assessment workshops
- Serve as academic advisor for students in the major and for other students as may be assigned by the Department Chair/Division Director and/or Dean
- Serve on Faculty Senate, faculty and trustee committees, or ad hoc committees as elected or appointed by the Dean or Provost
- Maintain a minimum of four office hours weekly, scheduled to meet the needs of the students, and to be available to meet with students, as needed, at other times throughout the week
- Attend scheduled general faculty, school faculty, and departmental faculty meetings
- Attend the Academic Awards program, Convocation, and Commencement exercises, and be available to participate in activities which promote the College in a positive manner both on and off campus
- Participate in professional development activities related to one's faculty role
- Engage in scholarly activities appropriate to one's discipline, teaching responsibilities, and other academic responsibilities
- Engage and interact with students in positive ways, such as by guiding student research projects, by serving as the advisor to student clubs and organizations, or by mentoring students in other scholarly activities
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Department Chair/Director, Dean or Provost
- Assist the Center for Academic Success with activities related to student success, retention and advising
- Assist Admissions with student recruitment as related to departmental programs
- Performs other related duties as required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ph.D. or terminal degree in Sociology or related area is preferred; consideration will be given to strong candidates with evidence of advanced ABD.
- Rank will depend on qualifications and experience.
- Successful candidates will have demonstrated ability to teach sociological theory and one or more of the following areas: marriage and the family, health and healthcare, urban sociology, and environmental sociology.
- Enthusiastic, committed teacher-scholar with demonstrated excellence in undergraduate teaching and scholarship.
- Ability to foster a collaborative atmosphere among students and faculty.
- Interest in active and collaborative learning and enthusiasm for working in a multidisciplinary environment.
The Assistant Professor of Sociology is a full-time, exempt, nine (9) month position, paid at twe1ve (12) months. This is a benefits eligible position.
Qualified applicants must electronically submit a cover letter, current resume or CV summarizing your qualifications and the contact information for three professional references (all saved as one document) via this online application:
AIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.